25 years ago
september 16, 1987
Jim and Wilma Clawson of Wichita have purchased Marion Country Inn from Jeff and Betty Hutchison. The Clawsons took over ownership Sept. 8 and moved into the motel’s residential quarters on Sept. 9.
Employees of Bill’s Sandblasting are pictured as they tuck point and coat the native stone wall in front of the Hill School and Marion High School. The two men have shined up the old stones, replaced cracked mortar, and covered them with a waterproof preservative so they will look like new for years to come.
Mr. and Mrs. Carl Bass, who were married Sept. 11, 1937, in Yates Center, celebrated their golden wedding anniversary at a family gathering Aug. 22 and 23 in Superior, Neb.
Vandals destroyed two golf carts sometime Saturday night during a joy ride at Marion Country Club. The drivers apparently played “bumper cars” with the carts, owned by Dr. Earl Wood and Harlow Warneke.
A crowd estimated at around 800 attended a barbecue near Florence Saturday evening featuring a former all-pro football player. Rosey Grier, a member of the executive board, was guest speaker at the annual barbecue at World Impact Ranch.
Some 28 members of Marion Mennonite Brethren Church voted Sept. 9 to change its name to Good News Christian Fellowship. Larry King became the church’s new full-time pastor on Sept. 1.
Last modified Sept. 6, 2012