35 years ago
november 9, 1977
“Mary White,” a television movie filmed in the Florence and Emporia areas in May, will be shown on ABC television at 8 p.m. Nov. 18.
St. Luke Hospital will celebrate its 25th anniversary Nov. 20 with a variety of activities.
Sharon Vinduska, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Vinduska of Marion, and Connie Kerbs, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Reuben Kerbs of Tampa, have received recognition for outstanding achievement in career education at Brown Mackie College, Salina.
Henry and Esther LeMoine of Lincolnville are subjects of this week’s Personality Profile by Ruth Meyer.
In 1883, William H. Dudley became president of the First National Bank of Marion. Dudley was one of the town’s leading citizens and the entire family held a prominent place in local society. A lithograph of the Dudley house, located in the 200 block of North Lincoln is displayed on page five of this issue. Owners since include Josiah Good, Dr. C.R. Magee, Ken Forsyth, and John Young. Mr. and Mrs. Will Helmer and family are present residents of the home.
Mrs. Kenneth Richter of Canada is pictured holding her entry in the Produce Derby — a giant turnip weighing about three pounds. No others from her garden came close to matching the size of this turnip.