• Last modified 33 days ago (May 16, 2024)


may19, 1949

Marion city commissioners this week passed an ordinance clearing up one of the more confusing Marion street designations. Grand Ave., which in reality is Main St. continued east from the jog at Cedar St. to the city limits, now officially is known as Main St.

Pictured on the front page are two men at the pinnacle of the courthouse tower installing a new police radio antenna.

Four new houses are under construction in Marion. Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Bernhardt are building in the 200 block of N. Cedar St.; the Homer Reinkes, on S. Roosevelt St.; the Virgil Wiebes, on N. Freeborn St.; and the Arvel Strongs, on Nickerson St.

W.H. Upton, secretary of the Wichita Council of Churches, will speak at commencement May 20 at Marion High School. Thirty-five graduating seniors will take part.

A new ice cream store opened this week. It is Meadowbrook Ice Cream Store, owned by Meadowbrook Creamery of Emporia and operated by Mr. and Mrs. Al Hunt. It is located in the Bogart Building where Hungerford Confectionary formerly was located.

Last modified May 16, 2024